Software technology is a crucial component in the modern era full of computers and internet technology. Most industries, sectors, and businesses rely heavily on software technology to capitalize on the traffic in the digital platforms and automate their processes—high reliance on software and other computerized technology results in equally high demand for software developers.
The software developers can work onsite in an office setting or remotely. However, working remotely is an important trend in the future of software development as most people prefer working from home. Here are some insights about remote software developer jobs in 2022.
How Much Do Remote Software Developer Jobs in 2022 Pay?
According to ZipRecruiter, a remote software developer has an average annual salary of $121,262, translating to about $58 per hour as of March 2022. That makes remote software developers among the best-paid professionals.
The high remuneration could be due to the high demand for software developers and software technology. The salary could also depend on the expert or skill level, experience, the organization, and the job’s geographical location.
Why Remote Software Developer Jobs Are Unique
One thing that makes remote software development unique is freedom in the workplace. The software developer doesn’t have to be present at the employer’s IT department office to deliver on projects. They can work from home or in a remote setting such as a library, a local coffee shop, or an internet café.
Another unique aspect is that the software developer isn’t under a fixed schedule like the traditional 8 am to 5 pm work schedule. The professional can set their timelines as long as they deliver the work within the agreed-upon time.
However, that doesn’t imply there’s no sense of accountability. The software developer will either answer to their superiors if employed or be answerable to their clients if they’re working on a freelance basis.
How to Become a Remote Software Developer
Get Software Development Knowledge!
There are multiple education paths to take to become a software developer. You can begin with a bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, project management, mathematics, or other related courses. Another way to go about it is learning the trade without an educational background through boot camps or vocational schools, where you can attend a certificate program. Another option is online resources, which are increasingly available on search engines. As you study, always remember that the crucial trait any software developer should have is the ability to adjust and acclimatize to the rapidly changing technology.
Create an Online Portfolio.
The next step to take is to create your software developer online portfolio. That is your main selling point to potential clients or employers. Your portfolio should capture your skills and work experience for the software projects you have previously handled. The portfolio should also contain your contact details and links to other professional profiles, such as your LinkedIn profile.
Seek Opportunities and Gain Experience.
With a good educational background and professional portfolio at hand, it’s now possible to start getting jobs and gain software development experience. Start looking for remote software development opportunities if you’re an already experienced software developer, or begin with small software gigs to gain entry into the market. In the end, a high experience level in remote software development indicates your reliability to potential clients and employers. It’ll show that you can deliver on projects when needed, eventually landing you a fully remote job.
Set Up Your Workstation.
Working remotely requires that you have a good station to utilize for your projects. Consider creating a good setup at home where you can work comfortably. With a comfortable workstation, you’ll have an easy time working. That’ll translate to enhanced productivity and effective delivery on software projects. You can set up your working area in a quiet space that’s free from distractions and well-lit. Also, ensure that you get a good desk, a comfortable chair with good lumbar support, and a capable laptop. Don’t forget internet connectivity — you’ll need reliable internet and electricity if using a desktop computer.
The Benefits of Working as a Remote Software Developer
There are multiple benefits of working as a remote software developer. They include:
- Immense flexibility. Software developers enjoy great flexibility as they don’t follow a fixed schedule like those in office settings. You can choose when to start working on a project. However, that comes with the need to have top-notch time management skills, devotion to work, and a high level of self-motivation to deliver on the tasks.
- Freedom to choose working hours. Remote software developers could be in a different time zone from the employer or client. However, that doesn’t affect the working schedule as you can work within your preferred timeline and still deliver on software projects.
- Better pay. Working remotely pays much better than the traditional office setup jobs. Remote work can see you earn a higher salary than your peers, showcase your skills to the vast tech market, and allow you to accumulate experience much faster than technicians working in an office setting.
- You can work from anywhere. With remote software development, you’re free to work from anywhere you like. You can work from your house, a nearby coffee shop, or a co-working office. Furthermore, you can work from a different country while traveling as long as you can deliver and dedicate time to working on your software projects. With a comfortable setup, access to fast internet, and a good laptop at hand, you can work from anywhere on earth.
- Better work-life balance. Most people with engaging jobs hardly have time to enjoy life. That’s far from the case with remote software development. Working remotely allows you to spend more time with your family and friends or engage in social activities. It can be something simple like sharing meals with loved ones as you’ll be at home most of the time. And if you finish on projects early, you get to be free without any limitations to an office schedule. Anyone with kids will love the flexible software development jobs as it’s easy to get the time for school activities.
- Save on time. Working from home is a great time-saver. For instance, you’ll get to avoid wasting time during commutes, traffic snarl-ups, and even crowded bus stations. You also get to avoid spending so much time preparing to get to work as all you need is a comfortable outfit and a refreshed mind to kick start your day. Besides, you’ll never be late for work since your office is in your backyard.
- Take advantage of off-peak hours. Another convenience to enjoy working as a remote software developer is to engage in activities when other people aren’t present. You could visit the mall when it’s less crowded and even drive smoothly when traffic flows quickly. That could allow you to save on fuel and shop without much hustle.
- Scale your career. You can enjoy immense growth when working remotely since you can work with people from global communities. That means it’s possible to get lots of different perspectives, allowing you to grow more rapidly than your peers working in office settings.
FAQs on Remote Software Developer Jobs
Is there a demand for software developers in the future?
Over the past decade, there has been an increase in the demand for software developers and programmers globally. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in software engineering is projected to rise by 22% between 2020 and 2030.
Is it hard to get a job as a software developer?
It can be quite difficult to get a software developer job, especially at a beginner’s level. That’s because landing a software engineering job relies heavily on having a professional network or existing software engineer connections linking you to jobs, which you won’t have when starting out.
Can AI replace coders?
No. Artificial intelligence cannot replace coders, at least for now. However, some AI technologies are capable of generating programs that don’t involve the human coding process.
Are software developers in demand in 2021?
Yes, the demand for software developers continues to skyrocket due to the high demand for software technology. That’s due to the constantly changing technology.
Will programming jobs disappear?
There is a high probability that programming jobs will disappear in the future, as most jobs will likely become automated. The technology the programmers build may likely replace them.
Does programming have a future?
Yes. Programming professional occupations such as software developers, IT research specialists, computer network architects, and IT analysts have great future demand prospects. That may rapidly increase between 2020 and 2030.
What percentage of software jobs are remote?
Approximately 86% of software developers work remotely, a third of whom work directly from their homes on a full-time basis.
Which countries have a shortage of software developers?
There is a shortage of software engineers in the Nordic countries such as Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark.
Is coding future-proof?
Yes. Coding is a future-proof career for anyone. The rise of computer tech and machines has made it vital for human beings to learn to code or lose their jobs in the business world.
Is remote work for everyone?
Not really. While working remotely can be stress-free and more productive, you need to have a high level of self-discipline, self-drive, and commitment to achieve your goals. The freedom that comes with working from home isn’t something that everyone can handle — you have to know and understand yourself.
How do I become a remote developer?
You need to learn the necessary software development skills, prepare an online web developer portfolio, look for software-related work, and gain relevant software development experience to land a fully remote job. It’s also crucial to decide whether to go the freelance or employment way and set up a remote workstation.
What will be the highest paying jobs in 2022?
Some high-paying software development jobs in 2022 are big data engineers, software architects, blockchain engineers, DevOps engineers, and cloud computing architects. Other top-performing professions include full-stack developers, artificial intelligence engineers, product managers, virtual reality, and augmented reality engineers.
What skills should I learn in 2022?
Some crucial tech skills to learn in 2022 are basic programming, UI/UX design, data engineering/visualization, video editing, and CRMs (Customer Management Software) management.
Which job will be in-demand in the future?
Software development jobs such as data engineering, artificial intelligence, and augmented reality/virtual reality are some jobs that’ll be in high demand in the future.
Can software developers work from home?
Yes. Software developers can conveniently work from home as software engineering is the topmost conducive career for remote work. However, you should have a good internet connection and a powerful laptop or desktop computer.
Can developers work remotely?
Software developers can work remotely away from the office. All they need is access to a good laptop and a fast and stable internet connection.
Is Wfh the future?
It is. Working from home or remotely is the future of software engineering work. Professionals don’t need to be in an office setting to deliver on projects.
Will remote work be the future?
More people in the digital world are shifting towards working from home. Estimates project that 70% of digital professionals will be working from home by 2025.
How hard is it to get a fully remote job?
It’s quite hard to get a fully remote job because most of the recruiting processes prefer office recruits. However, you can easily land a fully remote software job if you know where to look.
How many hours do remote developers work?
Remote developers work approximately 8-9 hours a day. That translates to 40-45 hours a week.
Check Out Nexxus
Any software developer can benefit from leading-edge insight into the trade, whether they’re just beginning their careers or are veterans. That’s where Nexxus, powered by Sonatafy Technology, comes in. It’s a resource hub for software developing knowledge that serves as a link between Latin American software developers and US-based companies.
The Nexxus team exists to give you the resources you need to get the best opportunities in software development. You can visit the resource hub, learn new skills, and better yet, join the Sonatafy Tech family to advance your career in software development.